Thursday 29 January 2015

Risks outweighing benefits or benefits outweighing risks?

I've decided to reduce my epilepsy meds again because life is short and I don't trust neurologists. I don't advise anyone else to do this but the further I get into ketosis the more intense the side effects of the medication hits me. I don't know if that's coincidence or not. I'm pretty sure this isn't tumour progression because it always follows the same pattern.


I'm discussing this soon with my neurologist but I know my brain better than they do in many ways. I always feel great before I take keppra and the reaction I get after taking it now is often so extreme that I get searing headaches that make me feel like I'm going to pass out and never wake up again. They call this a risk but it's an easy choice for me. The best decision I ever made in the past was completely coming off Epilim over time so I'm gradually going to reduce Keppra and see what happens. Of course it's scary and I'm bound to get some kind of withdrawal but the harsh reality is that this is a trial and error process.


On the surface I may seem brave but I'm far from it. I can't stand constantly being in pain and discomfort, I'm petrified of death and I'm realistic about the future. Coming off Epilim was the hardest thing I have ever done but I wanted a life so badly. Luckily for me my intuition was correct, Keppra seems to have saved me from seizures in the past so I'm not sure how this will work out but if I listened to all the people telling me what to do I would be bed bound and loaded up on tons of AEDs and paracetomol.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew. I wonder do you read Jane Plain itsthewooo? She has a lot of info about keto and AED's. Context is different cos she not brain cancer. She amusing in very off beat way also. All the best with this new change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading it now. This is great, thank you! :-)

      Delete
  2. How my daughter was saved from grand mal seizure.
    I am not really a fan of sharing my personal private story on the internet but i decided to do this because this joy is too voluminous for me to hide. My daughter which i took over 8 years after marriage to conceive had her first seizure at age 8 and ever since then it has been from one seizure to another in school, in church, at picnics. This got me worried because she has a bright future that i do not want epilepsy to become a hindrance, i tried several doctors in Texas and none could help with an effective cure. I went on the internet and saw testimonies about a treatment for epilepsy which a doctor offered and i was interested, i got in contact with him and i was able to get the medicine for my daughter which she used for 3 months as he instructed and it has been over 6 months now she is doing just fine without any allergies or aftermath effects. If you are suffering problem try to reach him too on (josephalberteo@gmail.com) i can count on him for a cure for you too.

    ReplyDelete