Thursday 19 February 2015

Matthew's Friends Keto Conference from the end of last year

I've been thriving on my own version of a restricted ketogenic diet recently and learned a lot from attending this event last year so I thought I would share one of the videos (they have just become available online). :-)


http://youtu.be/F3VQlWWDtiw


The only difficulty I noticed personally when adapting to strict keto is that humans can have many more food intolerances than mice and many brain cancer patients are on anti convulsants so you have to play around with the diet (and often medication!) to find out what works for the individual. It is also easier to control a mouse's external environment. 


I noticed a number of migraine triggers relating to commonly recommended foods on the diet (eg. Cheese, double cream, dark chocolate, ground almonds, even coconut oil!). With most of these foods I am actually quite concerned that they are recommended in the first place but I won't go into that!


Since I eliminated those foods and replaced them with different animal fats from grass fed animals I have been doing exceptionally well (ketones and blood glucose steady at therapeutic levels) and I feel this is the better path with these foods being more nutritionally dense. I also believe that the food replacements were more effective at combatting 'keto flu'. The foods generally recommended can actually make this phenomenon worse in my opinion.


I do think that there should be more mouse studies where anti convulsants are used together with the ketogenic diet because many posess anti tumour properties with different modes of action. The action that Lamotrigine exhibits on glutamate would be interesting to see in a mouse model together with the ketogenic diet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment